Montenegrin Sopska salad is pronounced “Shopska”. It is very popular all through the Balkan countries. This salad is a real delight and perfect when fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are abundant. The fresher the better!
It is dressed with just a touch of some excellent extra virgin olive oil and a splash of apple vinegar. We enjoyed this salad as part of Montenegrin feast however if would make a lovely light lunch with simply some bread and a glass of wine.
Did you know that the Montenegro got its name (Black Mountain) from the dark, mountain forests that cover the land? If you would like to learn more about this little Balkan State be sure to check out “Our Journey to Montenegro” to learn more. There you will also find other authentic recipes to make for you Montenegrin meal.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Montenegrin Sopska Salad
- 20 ripe cherry tomatoes in different colors if you can find them
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 lb farmers cheese or sirene cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon apple vinegar
- Wash all the vegetables
- Get a large bowl to put all the ingredients in.
- cut the cherry tomatoes in half or quarters depending on their size
- deseed and devein the peppers and cut into bite size pieces
- peel the cucumber if desired and cut into bite size pieces
- peel the onion and cut into bite size pieces
- mix together the olive oil and vinegar and dress the vegetables tossing together lightly
- Plate the salad and then add lots of grated or crumbled cheese over the top of each plate