Qatari Khubz arabi is Arabian bread that is popular all over the Middle East and Gulf region. I can just imagine the smell of this pillowy bread wafting through the air in the souks of Qatar. It is surprisingly easy to make and is absolutely scrumptious with the main dish called harees. It is so exciting to see it puff up in the oven. You can use this bread for just about anything. You will simply fall in love with it.
This bread is also used as a utensil in Qatar you break off a piece and use it to scoop up whatever it is your are eating whether it be baba ganoush or machboos. We used it to scoop up the creamy and delicious main dish we made for Qatar called harees. Seriously the possibilities are simply endless. Also because the khubz arabi make a nice pocket similar to a pita, you could use it to also make sandwiches.
Qatari Khubz Arabi is really not hard to make, you just need to plan for some time for the dough to rise and rest about 1 and 3/4 hours before baking.
Have you ever eaten with your hands? It is customary in many countries and is fun to sit on the floor on some cushions and experience it. You would only use your right hand and it would also be customary to have a hand washing ceremony before and after the meal.
Did you know that Qatar is going to host the FIFA 2022 games? They are building like crazy to get ready for the big event. Why not plan a trip to Qatar to see the games. If you can't make it to the games, why not have a Qatari party and make the whole meal? Soccer is the worlds most popular sport. If you would like to learn more about this little country of Qatar, be sure to check out "Our Journey to Qatar". There you can learn more about the culture and traditions as well as authentic recipes for their delicious cuisine.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Khubz Arabi (Arabian Bread)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, pour in the warm water and add in the yeast, stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add in the salt.
- Start gradually adding in the flour and oil while kneading, you want to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into a large greased bowl and turn dough to grease all sides.
- Cover with a dry tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size about 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Punch dough gently
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and shape them into smooth balls
- Place on a floured work surface and dust tops lightly with flour.
- Cover with a dry tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out each ball into a 6-inch diameter circle
- Place on greased baking sheets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bread puffs. Do not leave unattended while baking.