Rwandan sweet potato fries, known as chips there, are not soggy at all, and like real french fries (from belgium) you fry them twice. It requires a few steps to get them right, and they are totally worth the effort. Sweet potatoes are a resistant starch and are healthier than a normal potato. That being said, they are fried. One nice thing about this recipe is that you can crisp them up in the oven after they are fried so you can make them ahead of time. Always a plus especially when cooking for a crowd.
The trick to making these crispy is the not only frying them twice but soaking them first in water and then coating them with a cornstarch slurry. Yes it truly is the cornstarch that is the secret ingredient to keeping them crispy. The soaking makes them nice and tender almost pillowy on the inside.
They are delicious dipped in the spicy tomato sauce that our Rwandan goat brochettes were marinated in. Trust me you will love these Rwandan sweet potato fries. I love to use my deep fryer when making these, I put a link to the one I use and love.
Did you know that Rwanda is considered one of the safest countries in all of Africa. Why not plan a trip to see the elusive Mountain gorillas? One of only three places in the world where you can see them in the wild. Have you ever gone to see them, if so please tell me about your experience in the comments below.
If you would like to learn more about this small African country be sure to visit “Our Journey to Rwanda” plus get some more authentic Rwandan recipes you are sure to love.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page may contain affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Rwandan Sweet Potato Fries (Chips)
These are crispy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside. You will love them!
- 2 sweet potatoes about a pound
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons club soda
- vegetable oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Wash and peel your sweet potatoes. Cut into 1/4 thick fries, making sure they are uniform
- In a large bowl, soak the potatoes for about 10 minutes in cool water.
- Dry thoroughly with paper towels
Mix the cornstarch with the soda water to make a paste in a large shallow bowl.
- Add sweet potatoes and use tongs to toss and coat them on all sides.
- Heat your oil in your fryer to 350 degrees.
- Add the fries 1 at a time so they don't stick together, don't overcrowd your pan.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes (don't let them brown) and drain on paper towel.
- Once all the fries are done with their first dip in the oil, start the second round of frying.
- Fry them the second time for an additional 1-2 minutes, until they're browned and crispy.
- Season while hot with salt to taste
If you are making them ahead of time simply put them in a 325 degree oven for about 5 minutes to crisp them up again.