Slovenian roasted potatoes are called prazen krompir. These potatoes paired perfectly with the Stephanie roast. They would make a wonderful side dish with just about anything. They are hearty and scrumptious, perhaps it is the addition of pork fat and cracklings.
Potatoes are a staple ingredient in Slovenian cuisine and are utilized in many capacities. These Slovenian roasted potatoes are just one way they are loved. I am pretty sure you will love this recipe. The potatoes are first boiled to soften them and then cooked on the stove with onion, some pork fat and then topped with pork cracklings and salt and pepper, yum!
Slovenian cuisine is reflective of Mediterranean, Alpine and Eastern European cultures. Every region in Slovenia has its own regional specialties, but most of their oldest traditional dishes are made using flour, buckwheat or barley as well as potatoes and cabbage. This recipe would be considered an old traditional recipe.
Did you know that Slovenia declared independence from Yugoslavia on June 25th, 1991? If you would like to learn more about the country of Slovenia be sure to check out "Our Journey to Slovenia". There you can also find more authentic Slovenian recipes like the Stephanie roast plus their famous dessert called potica.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Slovenian Roasted Potatoes (Prazen Krompir)
- 2 lbs potatoes russet or golds
- 1 onion white or brown
- 1 Tbsp Pork fat obtained from cooking the cracklings
- 1/4 lb Pork cracklings
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Wash the potatoes, in a large pot add the potatoes with water to cover. Add salt and cook the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes (until tender)
- While the potatoes are cooking on the stove cook up the pork cracklings or bacon until crispy and reserve the grease, set the pork cracklings or bacon aside.
- After cooking, remove the potatoes from the stove and pour the water out of the pot. When the potatoes are cool, peel them and cut it into pieces.
- While waiting for the potatoes to cool, you can also peel onions and cut them into thin slices. Add reserved grease from the pork cracklings or bacon to the pan about a tablespoon, and add the onions (add some salt to release the water from the onions).
- When the onions are browning, add chopped potatoes and cook, initially at low temperatures Increase the temperature turning and stirring the potatoes roasting them.
- When potatoes are well-roasted, add the cracklings and keep on roasting until they are a bit brownish with a crust. Add salt and pepper to taste.