Belgium Toast Cannibal is very similar to a tartare. In Belgium this dish served as an entrée is called Filet Americain. Rumor has it this dish got its name when Americans seemed horrified at the thought of eating raw beef. If ordered as a main course it would normally be served with a salad and of a side of Belgian fries. It is served often however as an aperitif’ with bread or toast and called “Toast Cannibal”
Belgium Toast Cannibal- Steak Tartare
- 1 lb of Premium Filet of Beef you will be eating it raw, so make sure it is the best, leanest cut you can buy
- 1 shallot
- 3 Tablespoons fresh mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped capers
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Worcestershire Sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Nice artisan bread slices to toast sourdough or french works well
- Cornichons or gherkins plus pickled onions for garnish
- Mince the beef finely and put into a bowl, adding the yolk only of one egg.
- Peel and mince the shallot add to the minced beef.
- Add the mayonnaise, chopped capers, and mix very well together.
- Next add the tabasco, Worcestershire to taste and mix well.
- Season with Salt, pepper and Parsley mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Serve on a platter with toasted bread and the garnishes.
- Spoon the raw meat mixture on the toast and enjoy!