Trinidad macaroni pie recipe is a true comfort food. Every Trinidadian has their own version of this classic recipe. The result is more like a casserole than the Mac and cheese you are likely familiar with.
Some recipes don't have eggs, some use evaporated milk or heavy cream, some don't use ketchup or mustard...... you get the idea. Use what you like and enjoy the Trinidad Macaroni Pie recipe as your guide.
In Trinidad, this macaroni pie is often served as a side dish along with a fish stew called callaloo, a stewed chicken dish and a salad. Here we served it as a main course.
It also freezes well. I think you will love this decadent dish from the Islands.
The hardest part of making this dish is waiting for it too cool before you dig in!
Looking for more delicious recipes to enjoy with your Trinidad Macaroni Pie Recipe?
And Trinidad Coconut rolls for dessert.
If you would like to learn more about these Caribbean Islands, their traditions, food and culture be sure to check out “Our Journey to Trinidad and Tobago” there you will also find more authentic and ancestral recipes like this popular Macaroni Pie Recipe .
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on social media Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Trinidad Macaroni Pie Recipe
- 1 lb elbow pasta
- 1 Tbsp salt for water to boil pasta in
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese shredded you can also mix the cheese with another type if desired.
- 2 1/2 cups evaporated milk heavy cream can be a substitute
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp onion powder you can use cooked fresh onion as a substitue
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 Tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook until al dente about 8-10 minutes following package directions
- Meanwhile In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, garlic, onion powder, ketchup, mustard and black pepper.
- When pasta is ready drain it an put it back in the pot. Add in the butter and mix well.
- Add in 1 lb of the cheese. Just half of it and mix until combined.
- Add in the egg and milk mixture and stir again.
- Grease a 9x13 or 2 quart casserole dish and pour the mixture into the dish
- Top with the other half of the cheese.
- Place into the oven and cook until golden brown. This should take somewhere between 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool, cut into squares and serve with a side of ketchup.