Zurich style veal in cream sauce is a very popular main dish in Switzerland. It is served in many restaurants and is really a typical dish of Switzerland. It is a simple dish of meat in a luxurious sauce made with mushrooms and cream, that is divine served with rosti, a potato fritter considered to be the national dish.
Zurich style veal in cream sauce should be served very hot. Sometimes they even serve it in two servings to make certain it remains so. It should be served in a warm ovenproof dish as well. This dish is also sometimes served over pasta as well. It really is a quick and easy main dish that you will love!
Did you know Switzerland is the least obese nation in all of Europe? It must be from their clean air and active lifestyle as the food, well potatoes cooked in goose fat, Zurich style veal in cream sauce, are not exactly the lowest calorie meals. They also have the second longest life expectancy in the world after Japan. They clearly are doing something right!
If you would like to learn more about the tiny nation of Switzerland, be sure to check out "Our Journey to Switzerland". You will also find more delicious and authentic Swiss recipes like how to raclette, rosti, Switzerland's national dish, and the most amazing walnut pie.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Zurich Style Veal in Cream Sauce (Zurcher Geschnetzeltes)
- 2 lbs veal cutlets sliced into 1/2 in strips
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees and place ovenproof dish in the oven.
- Sprinkle flour over the veal strips, and coat well.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt half of the butter and half of the oil and as soon as the butter bubbles, immediately add the meat and quickly brown on all sides.
- Set aside meat to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter and oil to pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and lemon zest and cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine to de-glaze the bottom of the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits.
- Stir in the veal and any juice from the plate and cook over low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let thicken for a few minutes until hot, then stir in the lemon juice and serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately in your hot dish from the oven.