Swiss walnut pie called engadiner nusstorte just may be the best pie I have ever had. Sometimes it is called a tart instead of pie which actually would make me feel better about making the previous statement. You see my Grandma was an absolute master at making pies, and to declare this was the best pie, well a massive sense of guilt comes over me. I took a piece to my mom and her comment was this was the epitome of pie. Let just say this is one you need to try!
The butter dough is a bit tricky to work with but ended up tasting great. The recipe called for a cover, but I couldn't roll it out in one piece for the top, so I just pieced together strips. The caramelized walnut filling is easy to make and simply divine.
Choosing a dessert for Switzerland was not easy. They are known for chocolate. They produce and eat more than any other country in the world. Swiss chocolate makers Henri Nestle, and Daniel Peter invented milk chocolate.
If you would like to learn more about this little nation be sure to check out "Our Journey to Switzerland" to learn more. There you will also find more delicious and authentic recipes for Switzerland to go with your Swiss walnut pie like raclette, rosti and a creamy veal main dish called Zurcher geschnetzeltes.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Walnut Pie (Engadiner Nusstorte)
For the dough:
- 2 cups Flour white plain
- ¾ cups Sugar white
- 1 ½ cubes Butter unsalted
- 1 Egg whole
- 1 pinch Salt
For the Filling
- 1 ¼ cup Sugar white
- 3 cups Walnuts chopped
- ¾ cup Cream full-fat
For the Dough:
- Sift flour, cut butter into small cubes (set aside till reached room temperature)
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and form to a dough
- Set aside (covered) in fridge for 40-60 minutes.
- Take dough out, keep about 1/3 for the top crust.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and line out pie tin
For the Filling:
- -In a sauce pan heat the sugar until golden and caramelized, add walnuts – ensure that they all are coated with the caramelized sugar
- Add the cream and let bring to a boil
- Remove from heat Let cool down
- Then add mixture (not too hot) evenly into the lined out pie tin
- Cover with rolled out dough and cover the pie tin. Ensure that the cover reaches the edge press edges or alternatively make into strips like a lattice.
- Turn oven on to 430 degrees put pie in as it heat up for 10 minutes, then turn down the temperature to 350 F for approx. 25-35 min or /and till golden brown
- Take out
- Let cool and then serve with whipped cream / ice cream or simply coffee.