Akkra Funfun is what these excellent little appetizers are called. They could be eaten anytime as a snack. The bean flavor is delicious and the hint of cayenne makes for a nice little kick in the batter. Enjoy these little treats from Benin.
Akkra Funfun Bean Fritters
- 1 ½ cup dried white beans
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Oil for deep frying a combination of 2 parts peanut oil to 1 part palm oil.
- Wash and soak the beans overnight. The following day rinse the beans thoroughly and place them in a pot cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Drain well and place in a blender with the ¼ cup of water and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Blend until they form a thick dough-like paste (you can add more water if necessary)
- Meanwhile, heat up the oil to 375 degrees
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and drop the batter into the hot oil one teaspoon at a time. Cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot!