Bolivian salsa called Llajua or llaajwa is a quick to make spicy salsa that would normally be made with two ingredients that I could not find locally. The first is a pepper called Locoto, this is a pretty spicy chile that has black seeds and the other ingredient is called Quillquiña, this is a green that is somewhat similar to cilantro but has a unique taste and bitterness. I substituted jalapenos for the locoto chile and cilantro for the Quillquiña. The result was a lovely spicy salsa that is always found on Bolivian tables.
Llajua or LLajwa (A Spicy Bolivian Salsa)
- 2 large jalapenos minced if you don't like it too spicy, remove the seeds.
- 2 large tomatoes diced finely
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red onion minced finely
- Mix all ingredients together and add salt to taste.
- You could also put the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Serve as a condiment to any Bolivian recipe