Caldo Verde is a very popular soup in Portugal. You will find it on nearly every menu there. Caldo Verde literally translated means green soup. Historically the soup is made with collard greens but ever since kale has become a craze, many recipes for Caldo Verde now are made with kale. This is one of those recipes. Honestly this my husbands absolute favorite soup and he requests it all the time. It can be served as a course as it was for our Portuguese International Cuisine meal or as a meal by itself. It is hearty, comforting and absolutely scrumptious!
My favorite part of the soup is the addition of linguica sausage and chourico. It also has onions and potatoes, some of which are mashed to make an almost creamy texture to the soup.
This soup is perfect anytime but especially on a cold winter day. Of course you can use collard greens or even Swiss chard if you prefer. It has a base of a chicken stock which adds and a nice depth of flavor. If you have never tried this Portuguese staple caldo verde soup you are in for a real treat!
Caldo verde actually originated in the Minho Province of northern Portugal. Today it is a national favorite and even has spread to many places in the world as well.
Did you know that Brazil was once part of the Portuguese Empire? Portuguese remain the national language of Brazil to this day. If you would like to learn more about this amazing country, plus get more authentic recipes, be sure to check out "Our Journey to Portugal".
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page may contain affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
If you make this dish, I would appreciate if you let me know in the comments below, it is a keeper!
Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken stock or mix of chicken stock and water
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb. Linguica Sausage sliced
- ½ pound chourico or chorizo crumbled
- 4 cups Kale chopped or shredded
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot to medium heat.
- Add in the onions and garlic, cook until soft but not browned about 5 minutes
- Add in the chicken stock or chicken stock and water combination
- Add in the potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft about 20 minutes
- Remove the pot from the heat and lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- In another skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage, stirring until browned.
- Add the meat to the soup pot making sure to include any brown crusty bits.
- Simmer for five minutes then stir in the kale, and simmer for a few more minutes
- Add the lemon juice
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy with some Portuguese bread.