These Cameroon plantain and prawn rolls were delicious with the tomato, bell pepper and onion sauce.
I had trouble making the plantains roll without breaking the pieces. I ended up plating just one prawn on a fried plantain with the sauce on top which made it much more manageable to eat.
They were yummy and a wonderful way to start our Cameroon meal.
Bouchées de Plantains aux Crevettes (Cameroon Plantain and Prawn Rolls)
So these delicious treats did not end up as rolls but they were still scrumptious. Another lovely recipe from Cameroon
- 1 lb. raw peeled, prawns
- 2 plantains
- 3 to matoes finely diced
- 1 bunch of spring onions finely chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper de-seeded and finely diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp freshly-grated ginger
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, spring onions, ginger, salt, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill until needed.
- Season the prawns lightly with salt then set aside.
- In the meantime, peel the plantains then slice lengthwise into long, thin, strips.
- Wrap the prawns in a slice of plantain and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the plantain-wrapped prawns and fry until golden brown all over and cooked through.
- Drain on a paper towel, arrange on a plate and serve accompanied by the chilled tomato, onion and bell pepper sauce.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 885mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1100IU | Vitamin C: 76.2mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 3.1mg