This amazing dish from Cape Verde called Caldo verde is a Portuguese Kale soup. The flavors are awesome with the linguica and chourico sausages and the texture with the onions, potatoes and kale was perfect. This is a very flavorful soup that will now be added to my favorites. It makes a delicious meal on its own or a perfect start to a Cape Verde meal.
Cape Verde-Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken stock or mix of chicken stock and water
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb. Linguica Sausage sliced
- ½ pound chourico or chorizo crumbled
- 4 cups Kale chopped or shredded
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot to medium heat.
- Add in the onions and garlic, cook until soft but not browned about 5 minutes
- Add in the chicken stock or chicken stock and water combination
- Add in the potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft about 20 minutes
- Remove the pot from the heat and lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- In another skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage, stirring until browned.
- Add the meat to the soup pot making sure to include any brown crusty bits.
- Simmer for five minutes then stir in the kale, and simmer for a few more minutes
- Add the lemon juice
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy with some Portuguese bread.