This Cape Verde dessert called gufong is a sweet fried pastry, somewhat like a doughnut, crispy on the outside, doughy on the inside and simply delicious. They are wonderful on their own but can be served with a drizzle of chocolate and powdered sugar. A perfect ending to our Cape Verde meal, enjoy these treats with a cup of coffee or tea for added pleasure.
Cape Verde Gufong (Fried Pastry)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- Dash of salt
- Dash of baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a saucepan combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Once it is boiling add in the cornmeal until it is well mixed then add the flour.
- Add a dash of salt and baking powder and continue mixing until everything is well combined.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Once the mixture is cool, take a small piece of the dough and roll them into small finger sized logs on a floured surface.
- Heat up your oil in a frying pan or you can use a deep fryer
- Cook until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel
- Serve warm with coffee or tea and if you would like drizzle some chocolate syrup and powdered sugar to taste.