This Cape Verde Octopus Stew is called Polvo a Modo Ze De Lino that is simple to make and delicious. Please make sure to only use the freshest octopus or squid, it should not smell fishy at all. I used two habanero’s for this dish and I was really surprised how much the tomato cut down the heat of the hot peppers. I learned that from the Cameroon Pepper sauce. Serve with Jagacida and a green salad for an authentic Cape Verde meal.
Cape Verde- Polvo a Modo Ze De Lino (Octopus Stew)
- 2 lbs. octopus or squid
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tomatoes or l tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- l onion
- 2 hot peppers like habanero or similar and chopped finely. Use as much as like based on your heat tolerance
- Wash and cut octopus into small pieces.
- Place octopus in a pot with two bay leaves and 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Heat on medium.
- Allow octopus to cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cloves of garlic, diced onion and hot pepper.
- Heat on medium low until stew-like. Stir occasionally.