Beignets de Bananes are delicious Banana fritters that is easy to make and a lovely way to end our Central African Republic meal. The hint of lime adds a nice touch to the fritter. These are best consumed hot and sprinkled with a light dusting of sugar. Enjoy!
Beignets de Bananes (Banana fritters)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 6 Tablespoons plain flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg separated
- 1 lime zest finely-grated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- oil for frying
- icing sugar for dusting
- Sift together the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Form a well in the centre and add the egg yolk.
- Stir to combine then add the milk and butter.
- Beat with a wire whisk until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- Add the egg white to a clean and dry bowl, then beat until stiff.
- Gently fold into the batter along with the lime zest.
- Peel the bananas and cut into slices.
- Heat the oil in a pan. When hot dip the banana slices in the batter and immediately drop into the hot oil.
- Fry until nicely browned and heated through.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper as you cook the next batch.
- Serve hot, dusted with icing sugar.