This Colombia bean recipe is a quicker version as it uses red kidney beans in a can, of course you can soak regular beans and cook using package directions but this is an excellent quick and easy recipe to get those beans on the bandeja paisa plate. A must have component of the platter!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Colombia Red Beans (Frijoles Colombianos)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 bunch scallion white and green parts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 32 0z can red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Sauté the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and reserve for another use, but leave the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped scallions, and cumin to the pan. Sauté them in the bacon fat until they are soft, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the beans (including liquid) to the pan. Add sugar, water, and the chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes more, until most of the water has evaporated and the beans have thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.