This Colombia Hogao Creole sauce or salsa is delicious. It is found on most tables throughout the country and used on many things. It is amazing on the Colombian bread called Arepa and is a important component to the dish Bandeja Paisa. We absolutely loved it as it has spices but is not at all spicy hot.
Hogao (Colombian Creole Sauce)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the tomatoes, scallions, garlic, ground cumin and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the salt and , cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened.
- Check and adjust the seasoning.