This Comoros sweet pea soup is fantastic. It has a lovely spiciness coming from a little cayenne and ginger and a wonderful creaminess from some light coconut milk. It is a simple recipe and don’t forget the lime. It is perfect with it. I will add this recipe to my favorites, it’s a keeper. Thanks Comoros!
Comoros- Soupe faux pois (Sweet Pea Soup)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 pound tomatoes chopped
- 3 teaspoons ginger finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can light coconut milk 3 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 4 cups water
- thinly sliced lime for serving
- Remove peas from the freezer to thaw while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, over medium-low heat, heat olive oil in a large pot and add the onion and garlic. Gently cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until onions have softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the coconut milk) and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Note you can adjust the amount of cayenne to your heat tolerance.
- Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), blend soup until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to a simmer just to warm coconut milk. Do not allow it to boil.
- Serve by drizzling reserved coconut milk over the top and adding a lime wheel.