This is a classic Cypriot dip made of fish roe from carp called tarama. The roe should be beige in color. You can probably find this dip ready made called taramosalata at your local Greek market. Either way find it and make it, a lovely dip and a classical one to be part of the Cyprus meze. YUM!
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup tarama (fish roe)
- 1½ cups bread soaked in water and drained
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- It you are using fresh, unprepared roe then place in a bowl, cover with water and set aside to soak for 30 minutes (this removes the excess salt). Clean the roe, drain well then crush with a few drops of olive oil until you have a paste.
- Scrape the paste into a bowl and mix in the bread, olive oil and lemon juice (add these a little at a time, alternating between them).
- While adding these ingredients beat the mixture with a wire whisk until it comes together as a smooth paste. Turn into a serving bowl, garnish with lemon