Egyptian Molokhia is a very popular soup made with minced jute leaves. Jute is a nutritious plant and has the same texture as okra when cooked, a bit gelatinous. You can pick some jute leaves up here. Chicken is the most common however this soup can be made with rabbit, lamb, and even shrimp and is delicious served over rice and whatever protein you choose. This typically would not be a soup course, Egyptian Molokhia would be considered a main course. Serve it with some crispy pita chips and lemons. Enjoy!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Egypt Molokhia (Jute leaf soup)
- 1 1 lb. chicken pieces
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds - ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package chopped frozen molokhia
- 2 cups cooked short-grain Egyptian rice
- 2 tablespoons ghee clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Add the chicken, onions, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and stock to a pot that's just large enough to hold the chicken. The chicken should be completely submerged. (you can add water if necessary) Cover and bring to a boil, then remove the lid and skim off any scum that accumulates on the surface. Keep skimming until there's no more foam coming up. Turn the heat down to a simmer, and cook the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Make a paste using a mortar and pestle by combining the garlic, coriander, olive oil and salt.
- In a frying pan add the paste you just made with 2 tablespoons ghee. Cook just until the garlic is brown but taking care not to burn it.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside, shred into bite size pieces when cool enough to handle.
- Put the garlic mixture into the stockpot along with the frozen chopped molokhia (jute leaves)
- Add the lemon juice and gently stir until the molokhia is thawed.
- Serve over rice and shredded chicken pieces. Garnish with crispy pita chips and extra lemon. Enjoy!