Egyptian ta’amiyas, a fava bean falafel are amazing. Often times found as a street food, they can be served alone but usually are part of delicious sandwich. The falafel is tucked into a pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and yes of course tahina. Egyptian Ta’amiyas are easy to make and well worth it, a beautiful vegetarian sandwich, delicious!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Egypt Ta'amiyas (Fava Bean Falafel)
Beans need to soak overnight so plan ahead, a lovely vegetarian meal!
- 1/2 lb. dried fava beans
- 1/2 onion
- 1 scallions
- 1/4 bunch fresh dill
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon flour or more if necessary
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Neutral oil for frying
- Soak the dried fava beans overnight (or at least for 8 hours) in a large bowl filled with water.
- The next day, drain the fava beans and mix in food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same food processor, combine the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro and dill and scallions for ta’amiyas.
- Pulse until you obtain a paste.
- Add this mixture to the fava beans and mix with a spatula.
- Add cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, pepper and flour and mix well. If dough is too soft, add more flour, a teaspoon at a time, until firm enough to form balls.
- Add baking soda just before frying. Mix well.
- Heat a large pan with vegetable oil and bring to about 350 F.
- Make small balls about the size of a ping pong ball.
- For ta’amiyas, slightly press the balls on both sides and dip in the sesame seeds.