El Salvador refried beans are absolutely amazing. They are typically made with a red bean however a pinto bean can also be used. Honestly the secret to the beans is the flavoring by slowly cooking an onion until burnt. I know it sounds strange but trust me it works perfectly. You will love these, best refried beans ever!
Did you know that Salvadorians are also called Guanacos? If you would like to learn more about this small Central American country, be sure to check out "Our Journey to El Salvador". There you will also find more authentic recipes to go with your delicious El Salvador refried beans!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
El Salvador Refried Beans
- 1/2 lb. El Salvador red beans or pinto beans
- 2 onions Quartered & divided
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic whole
- salt to taste
- Put the beans in a large pot, add one onion quartered, the green pepper roughly chopped and the three garlic cloves (leave whole).
- Cover with water by about 4-5 inches IMPORTANT Do NOT salt the water, the beans will never get tender if you do. Bring to a boil and let it be for about 2 1/2 hours till beans are soft and their skins splitting. (Check on them once in a while and add water as necessary, always make sure they are covered by at least an inch of water)
- Once soft, you can add 1 teaspoon of salt, but keep them bland until the end.
- Blend the beans and cooked veggies in a blender until smooth, you want to keep them liquidy.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and the other quartered onion. Heat up the oil and onion slowly and cook them SLOWLY until they are black and burned, this takes quite a while, but be patient. Once black and burned remove the onion pieces reserving the flavored oil in the pan and now you add the blended beans. Cook them until you get the consistency you like.
- Add salt to taste.
- These beans are amazing thanks to the flavor that comes from the onion oil, Enjoy!