Niçoise salad or Salade niçoise as it is called in France is a delicious and beautiful dish to serve. It would make a perfect light lunch any day.
Sometimes anchovies are added to this but it gets its name Niçoise salad from the small black olives that come from Nice. If you want to try the real thing (which I highly recommend) you can get them here. If you can not find them you can substitute a kalmata but get the kind in the brine to be more authentic. Of course add what you like and eliminate what you don’t.
This recipe was awesome and the dressing really made the salad. Light, simple and refreshing. Bon Appetit!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Salade Nicoise (Nicoise Salad)
For the Nicoise Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp's fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot minced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 lb. small new potatoes boiled until tender
- 8 oz. haricot verts blanched
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup black Niçoise olives
- 8 oz. marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 salt-packed anchovies rinsed and drained (optional)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs halved lengthwise
- 1 small cucumber thinly sliced
- 3 4 oz can oil-packed tuna, drained
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- Make the dressing: Mince garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle heavily with salt; using a knife, scrape garlic and salt together to form a smooth paste. Transfer paste to a bowl and whisk in oil, lemon juice, mustard, shallot, and salt and pepper; set aside.
- Make the salad: Arrange all ingredients in separate rows on a large serving platter; drizzle dressing over all ingredients, season with salt and pepper.