Ghana Akotonshi is a delectable stuffed crab dish. I was able to find some cute blue crabs to make our appetizer however this can easily be made in a ramekin or shell as long as you can get some good white crab meat. I don't think imitation crab would work in this dish, so only the real thing! The crab mixed with an array of spices, tomato and bread crumbs is simply delicious, Enjoy!
Ghana Akotonshi (Stuffed Crabs)
- 2 lbs cooked crab meat or 4 whole crabs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 4 cloves
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers finely chopped
- pinch of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¾ tsp. grains of paradise ground to a powder (Optional)
- 1 tsp minced African bird peppers use hot Thai peppers if unavailable, mashed to a paste
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 sprig parsley
- If cooking whole crabs, clean them and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the ginger, cloves and the crab, cook for 15 minutes. Remove crabs and meat, keep shells for plating. If using just crab meat Mix crab meat with ¼ cup water that has been boiled with the ginger piece and cloves for 15 minutes.
- Drain water, flake the meat and set aside.
- In a heavy pot, heat oil to medium temperature and add other ingredients in the following sequence, stirring for a minute or so between each: onions, ground ginger, tomatoes, tomato paste, green pepper, cumin, nutmeg, thyme, grains of paradise, paprika, mashed peppers, and dried shrimp.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4 – 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are cooked.
- Add crab meat and stir another couple of minutes to heat it through.
- Then spoon the mixture into clean crab shells or ramekins (small individual baking dishes).
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of each crab and toast under an oven broiler, being careful not to let the crumbs scorch.
- Garnish with parsley.