Grenada nutmeg ice cream was the perfect ending to our journey to the Spice Island. I love ice cream of pretty much any flavor and I had never tried nutmeg before, it did not disappoint. Please you must use freshly grated nutmeg, nothing ground will do. Making homemade ice cream is fun and a perfect activity for the end of summer. There are ways to make homemade ice cream if you don’t have a machine, just google how to do make ice cream without a machine and you will get multiple results. Either way you should try to make some and nutmeg is excellent!
Grenada Nutmeg Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- 3 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh nutmeg; grated (about 1 whole nutmeg)
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- In a saucepan bring the milk and the cream just to almost a boil. Do not boil let it boil and turn off the heat at this stage.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the sugar, the nutmeg, the salt, and the vanilla.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg mixture, and whisk the mixture into the remaining milk mixture.
- Cook the custard over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it registers 175 F. on a candy thermometer.
- Transfer the custard to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and stir it until it is cold.
- Freeze the custard in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with some cinnamon sticks to garnish