Grenada sweet potato mash is a wonderful side dish for any occasion. The addition of nutmeg makes it from the "Spice Island". This dish was made from organic white sweet potatoes (which may be a little hard to find), but well worth the effort. I am sure you could use a regular sweet potato as well with a lovely result. Actually every time I make them, I wonder why I don't make them more often, they are so easy and delicious.
Grenada Sweet Potato Mash
- 3 large sweet potatoes preferably white
- 1-2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg depending on taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and put in a large pot and pour the water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Leave the heat on high and allow the sweet potatoes to cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Test the readiness of the potatoes by inserting a fork, it should be soft to the touch.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the potatoes from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Use a masher to smash the potatoes into your mash..
- Use a fork to mix in the nutmeg and butter throughout the mash,