Guatemalan Salpicon is a lovely shredded beef salad. This dish is loved all over the region however in Guatemala they make it with mint. A refreshing salad that is served cold with hot homemade corn tortillas and a fresh radish salad. This would make a perfect light lunch for any occasion and was the perfect start to our Guatemalan meal.
Guatemalan Salpicon (Shredded Beef and Mint Salad)
- 2 lbs. skirt steak or flap meat
- 4 cups beef stock or water
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint
- 2 limes
- 3 T orange juice bitter orange or naranja agria
- 1 large onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4 to matoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer the beef in a frying pan covered with the stock for at least one hour or until tender. Then remove the beef and chill it in the fridge. Reserve the broth for another use
- Dice the tomatoes finely.
- Mince the onion very finely. A mezzaluna works great for this
- Remove the mint leaves from the stalks and chop them finely. Discard the stems.
- Remove the seeds and finely chop the jalapeno
- Once the meat has cooled, remove any fat and shred the meat into strips using two forks. Then dice the meat into tiny pieces.
- Combine the meat and chopped mint, onion, tomato and jalapeno pepper in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lime juice from two limes, 3 Tablespoons of orange juice plus salt and pepper.
- Pour the lime juice mixture over the meat mixture and toss lightly with a fork.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour and then serve.
- Garnish with mint, serve with hot tortillas and a radish salad, Enjoy!