This hibiscus flower drink is called bissap du Burkina Faso. This delicious drink is perfect for a warm day, made with dried hibiscus flower which makes for a richly colored drink and its nutritious too!
Here are some awesome things you may want to know about the dried hibiscus flower that is consumed in many places in the world.
The hibiscus scientific name is Hibiscus sabdariffa. The flower is used as a medicinal tea in many parts of the world. It has all sorts of health benefits that is just an added bonus as the drink is delicious. When you make the tea it comes out a ruby red color, it is somewhat sour similar to cranberry which is why sugar is typically added but certainly there are many other more healthful options for sweetness.
It has all sorts of health benefits according to several different studies but one done in 2008 by the American Heart Association list several of them.
- It is caffeine free
- It helps to lower blood pressure with people who suffer from hypertension.
- It helps lower the bad cholesterol in the body known as LDL
- It protects the liver and may help with those suffering with liver disease due to it being a powerful antioxidant which helps neutralize free radicals in the body.
- It has anti-cancer properties and is a good source of Vitamin C which is an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.
- It helps with menstrual pain and is also an anti-depressant.
- It satiates thirst
- It also helps with weight loss
It does have some warnings like pregnant women should not drink it, people with low blood pressure should a avoid it as well.
The source of the benefits and warnings comes from https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/hibiscus-tea.html
It also is delicious served warm or cold. I will be making this a regular drink in my household, just remember everything in moderation.
Have you ever tried Hibiscus flower drink? Let me know what you think in the comments below. If you would like to purchase some online you can get the flowers here. I like the fact these are organic. Please note that this post may contain affiliate links in which I earn a small commission but will not affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support.
If you like this recipe and post, be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world and follow me on instagram, pinterest and facebook for the latest.
Bissap du Burkina Faso (Burkinabe Hibiscus Flower Drink)
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 10 cups water
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Sugar to taste
- Rinse the hibiscus flowers then place in a large pot, pour over the water.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling until the water is deeply colored.
- Drain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve
- Add sugar to taste and mix in the vanilla extract
- Allow to cool and serve over ice for a refreshing drink.