Honduran chicharones or pork crackling is loved all over the world. What is not to love, pork belly braised slowly and then fried in its own rendered fat to crispy deliciousness. Honestly this is one of my favorite things however you can only eat a little on a rare occasion for obvious reasons. These are superb! It was served as part of the plato tipico or typical plate that is the national dish of Honduras, awesome!
Honduran Chicharones or pork crackling
- 1 1 lb. pork belly
- lime wedges to garnish
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Pat the pork belly dry
- mix together the baking soda and salt and rub it on the pork skin
- let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for a couple hours
- rinse off the salt and baking soda and cut the pork belly into small pieces about 1/3" leaving the skin attached to the belly.
- Put the pork belly in a skillet or wok and cover with water. Let the pork belly braise for a hour or two until the water evaporates and you only have fat left in the pan, Make sure to do this slowly over a low heat.
- Once the pork fat has rendered, turn up the heat to high and fry until crispy and golden.
- Drain excess fat on a paper towel and salt to taste
- Enjoy with a squeeze of lime.