Honduran chicharones or pork crackling is loved all over the world. What is not to love, pork belly braised slowly and then fried in its own rendered fat to crispy deliciousness. Honestly this is one of my favorite things however you can only eat a little on a rare occasion for obvious reasons. These are superb! It was served as part of the plato tipico or typical plate that is the national dish of Honduras, awesome!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Honduran Chicharones or pork crackling
Honestly this a bite of heaven. On the rare occasion, when you want to indulge in some pork belly, you will be a super star with this simple recipe.
- 1 lb. pork belly
- 1 lime cut in wedges, to garnish
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Pat the pork belly dry
Mix together the baking soda and salt and rub it on the pork skin
Let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for a couple hours
Rinse off the salt and baking soda and cut the pork belly into small pieces about 1/3" leaving the skin attached to the belly.
- Put the pork belly in a skillet or wok and cover with water. Let the pork belly braise for a hour or two until the water evaporates and you only have fat left in the pan, Make sure to do this slowly over a low heat.
- Once the pork fat has rendered, turn up the heat to high and fry until crispy and golden.
- Drain excess fat on a paper towel and salt to taste
- Enjoy with a squeeze of lime.