Honduran Carne Asada is a marinated flank or skirt steak and grilled on the BBQ, a favorite pasttime of Honduran families. This marinade has beautiful citrus notes. It calls for bitter orange and if you can not find them fresh, (they are not easy to find here in the US) then you can do one of two things, use a bottle version called naranja agria which means bitter orange in Spanish you can find in your local Latin market. It will likely be from concentrate but is an okay substitute for the real thing. The other possibility is to use a combination of fresh orange juice with lime juice, either way you will love the citrus flavor in this carne asada. This is the main attraction on the typical plate (the national dish of Honduras). Eat it with a little chimol or pico de gallo on top of the meat for a real treat!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Honduran Carne Asada (marinated beef)
This is a succulent way to cook beef, perfection!
- 2 lbs. beef flank or skirt
- 1/2 cup bitter orange Juice see notes in post about bitter orange substitutes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut the beef into strips, about 1-inch wide
- Mix all ingredients (except the beef) in a bowl
- Place the beef strips in the bowl and turn until completely coated with the marinade
- Leave the beef in the marinade for at least 1 hour, however overnight is much better
- Heat up your BBQ (if possible use hardwood coals for the best flavor
- Place the beef on the BBQ and cook for approximately 7mins on each side.
- serve with chimol
This recipe requires marinating time overnight is preferable but at least one hour.