Honduran Frijoles refritos or refried beans is another staple food and part of the typical plate. Both red beans and black beans are popular there. This recipe is an easy version starting with canned red beans as opposed to soaking the beans and then cooking them until tender. Of course you can do it that way if you prefer but it is nice to know you can whip these up using canned beans and reduce your prep time. They were delicious and easy! These are often served with tortilla chips and cheese for another lovely treat!
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Honduran Frijoles refritos (refried beans)
Honduran beans can be made with red or black beans and be authentic. They are delicious!
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 2 Tablespoons cumin, ground
- 6 Tablespoons oil or lard
- 2 Tablespoons onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons green bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Salt to taste
- Pour beans (and the water from the can) in a blender of food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat up oil or lard in frying pan.
- Fry the onions, green bell peppers, and garlic at low heat until softened
- Add the blended beans
- Stir in cumin
- Stir occasionally and simmer until reduced to your desired consistency it takes about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add some grated cheese to garnish if desired.