Indian Aloo Gobi is a spiced potato and cauliflower dish that comes from the Punjab region in India, the northern area of the country. Potatoes were brought to India by the Portuguese and are a staple ingredient in their cuisine.
Potatoes paired with cauliflower was new to me and made for a wonderful combination especially spiced up! Indian Aloo Gobi is a hearty vegetarian dish made in the dry style that is sure to please.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Indian Aloo Gobi (Spiced Cauliflower and Potatoes)
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes sliced in wedges
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets and rinsed
- 1.5 to 2 inches ginger chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt to taste
- In a kadai or thick bottomed pan like a wok, heat oil or ghee.
- Lower the flame and add the potato wedges.
- Stir the potatoes well and saute them on a low flame or simmer for 6 to 7 minutes. stir a couple of times while sauteing them.
- Add the gobi/cauliflower and saute for 3-4 minutes. continue to stir in between.
- Add chopped ginger. stir again very well.
- Spice up the gobi and aloo with turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Stir again so that the spices are mixed uniformly and the veggies are coated evenly.
- Cover the pan with the lid, tightly.
- Simmer the aloo gobi 18 to 20 minutes on a low flame. timing will vary with the size, depth and quality of the pan and flame intensity.
- Occasionally, remove the lid and stir the aloo gobi well. cover and then again continue to cook. Do not add any water.
- Once the potatoes and cauliflower have cooked, sprinkle garam masala powder and mix it all together
- Serve aloo gobi with yogurt and/or naan bread.