Indonesian Bakwan Sayur is a delicious vegetable fritter that makes a lovely appetizer. They are crispy and light and best served warm right out of the fryer. They are sort of like a vegetable tempura and really any combination of vegetables can be used, even shrimp can be added. You will love them, quick, easy and delicious! They are sometimes served with Thai chilies and a tomato dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Indonesian Bakwan Sayur (Vegetable Fritters)
Servings 4 servings
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 125 ml water
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, rice flour, salt, sugar, and ground pepper. Add water and mix well, make sure there are no lumps.
- Add grated garlic and egg into the batter. Mix well.
- Add shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, and sliced scallions into the batter and mix well.
- Pour enough oil in a pot for deep frying. Once a bit of batter dropped into the oil bubbles immediately, the oil is ready.
- Use a small ladle, drop the mixture into the hot oil. Deep fry until the fritter is crispy and turns golden brown on both sides, remove and drain on a wire rack/paper towel. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Serve immediately with some Thai chilies, or a combination of tomato sauce and chili sauce.