Indonesian yellow rice called Nasi Kuning is a delicious staple food. Nasi is what they call rice in Indonesia, it is served with every meal and everything served with it is considered an accompaniment. They enjoy rice made all different ways but this cone shaped rice is to represent the mountains and clearly the focal point of the tumpeng. It is flavored with coconut milk and get's its beautiful hue from the turmeric. I used a cardboard witches hat from Halloween as my mold, a birthday hat would work also. They do make aluminum and bamboo molds just for this purpose however, the hat worked pretty darn good. Also note that whoever is the guest of honor or the elder should get the top of the nasi kuning.
Indonesian Yellow Rice (Nasi Kuning)
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 inches piece fresh lemongrass
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a sauce pan. (or a rice cooker may be used)
- Set on stove until it begins to boil.
- Turn heat to low. Cover and cook until rice is done and the water is absorbed.
- Removed bay leaves and lemon grass before placing the hot rice in the mold
- Please note it works best when the rice is hot.
- Use a piece of banana leaf to make a cone shape on the cone shaped rice. Place in the middle of the platter or plate if making tumpeng.
Darlene at International Cuisine