Iranian saffron ice cream is called Bastani Sonnati which actually means classical Ice Cream. Yes, Iranian Ice Cream is typically made with vanilla, saffron as well as rose water. I used a very simple way to achieve this with already made vanilla ice cream with out the use of an ice cream machine. It was absolutely delicious topped with what else but chopped pistachio nuts. Ice Cream is normally served in Iran between two very thin pieces of wafer. We enjoyed this recipe in a wafer cone. Enjoy!
Iranian Saffron Ice Cream (Bastani Sonnati )
- 1 1/2 qt vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 tsp saffron crushed
- 1 TBS water hot
- 1 TBS rose water
- 1/2 cup pistachios shelled and coarsely chopped
- Allow to soften at room temperature for 10 minutes:
- /2 qt vanilla ice cream
- In the meantime, combine in a small bowl:
- /4 tsp saffron , crushed
- TBS water , hot
- When ice cream has softened, place in a large bowl with the saffron mixture.
- Mix in:
- TBS rose water
- Continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape ice cream back into it's original container and freeze until hardened, at least 6 hours.
- Garnish with:
- /2 cup pistachios , shelled and coarsely chopped