Irish Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish that goes perfect with any type of meat, we especially enjoyed it with the meat and Guinness Pie. It is by no means a low calorie affair, however, every once in a while, why not! This dish is made with potatoes, cabbage, onion, bacon and yes butter! Guaranteed you won't have any leftovers!
Irish Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage)
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 small head cabbage chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble and set aside. In the reserved drippings, saute the cabbage and onion until soft and translucent.
- Drain the cooked potatoes, mash with milk and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions, then transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in the melted butter. Serve immediately.