Bahrain Khubz is a really fun bread to make. It actually puffs up in the oven to make a pocket similar to a pita bread. It is delicious straight out of the oven. Use it to dip into baba ghanoush for a real treat. This bread takes a bit of time but well worth the effort.
Khubz Arabi (Bahrain flat bread)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, pour in the warm water and add in the yeast, stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add in the salt.
- Start gradually adding in the flour and oil while kneading, you want to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into a large greased bowl and turn dough to grease all sides.
- Cover with a dry tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size about 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Punch dough gently
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and shape them into smooth balls
- Place on a floured work surface and dust tops lightly with flour.
- Cover with a dry tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out each ball into a 6-inch diameter circle
- Place on greased baking sheets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bread puffs. Do not leave unattended while baking.