Liberian pineapple ginger beer is a non-alcoholic beverage despite its name. It is light and refreshing perfect for a warm summer day. It is also made with the skin of a pineapple so next time you are using a pineapple for a dish, you should keep this recipe in mind. Ginger has wonderful health benefits like vitamin K. B6 and magnesium so not only does it taste good, it is good for you. Enjoy!
Liberian Pineapple Ginger Beer
- 2 lbs fresh ginger root
- 1 Cup of Sugar +/- to taste
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 14 cups water
- 1 tsp to 1 Tablespoon whole cloves to taste
- Wash your ginger root. Use a cutting board and small, sharp knife to cut into half-inch pieces.
- Transfer a half of the cut ginger into the blender. Add 2 cups of water. Cover and set blender to high. Blend until ginger is in small pieces and mixed in the water. Transfer this mixture to a big pot at least 8 quarts. Repeat with the rest of the ginger. Add this mixture to the pot.
- Wash the pineapple. Use a sharp knife to remove the peeling. You should slice the peeling off so that you also remove a half-inch of pineapple with the skin.
- Cut the peeling into one-inch pieces. Transfer a half of the cut pineapple peeling to the blender. Add 2 cups of water and blend on high until pineapple is in small pieces and mixed in the water. Transfer to the pot of ginger. Repeat with the rest of the cut pineapple. Add to the mixture in the pot. Note you are not using most of the fruit of the pineapple so use it for another recipe or just enjoy it while you are making you ginger beer.
- Add 10 more cups of water to the pot. Add cloves try just one teaspoon to start and add to taste.
- Bring to a boil on high and boil on medium-high for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove. Cover the pot and allow the mixture to sit for 8 hours or overnight at room temperature.
- Pour the mixture through a metal sifter to remove the larger pieces of ginger, pineapple peel, and cloves. Use a big spoon to press and help force the liquid through the sifter.
- Next, Use some cheese cloth to strain out the finer particles. You will have to use your hand to wring out the ginger beer out of the cloth.
- To sweeten, first add 1 cup of sugar and stir. Add more sugar according to your taste. Cut and squeeze in lime, if desired. Chill and enjoy.
- Store in the refrigerator.