Liberian chicken gravy is a dish made for special occasions. Meat is expensive for the average Liberian family. Fish is much more affordable. This dish has complex flavors that are spicy and delicious. It is often served with check rice and fried plantains. Enjoy!
Liberian Chicken Gravy
- 2 pounds chicken cut up
- for cooking the chicken you need a little salt pepper, paprika, chicken bouillon and chopped onion. These ingredients are in addition to what is listed below.
- 1 pound large shrimp cleaned and de-veined
- 1/2 cup fresh green beans cut up
- 2 large red bell peppers chopped coarsely
- 1 green bell pepper. chopped coarsely
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to matoes chopped, coarsely
- 1 medium onion chopped, coarsely
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water
- boil the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, chicken bouillon and some chopped onions:
- cook until tender. (times vary depending on chicken pieces)
- Remove the chicken and Reserve the stock
- In a blender of food processor blend together the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, herbs and pepper.
- In a heavy duty pan, add 1/2 cup oil add in the blended mixture then the tomato paste.
- Saute for about 10 minutes to blend the flavors together.
- Add in the cooked chicken and about 2 cups of the reserved stock, let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add in the cut up fresh green beans stir
- Add in the shrimp and cook for another few minutes
- Adjust the seasonings, add in more stock if necessary and chicken bouillon
- Serve with check rice or white rice and enjoy!