Libyan watermelon called Batikh is often served as dessert. It is found on roadside stands and at open air markets throughout Libya especially during the very hot arid months of summer. It was served sliced like a pizza pie, was drizzled with a bit of date syrup, and garnished with some salty black olives. The combination of flavors was great. I especially liked the date syrup which added a savory sweetness to the juicy watermelon. It hits all the notes and makes for a lovely dessert on a hot summer day!
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 8 black olives, pitted
- Date syrup or molasses to taste
- Cut the watermelon into a slice about 1 inch thick
- Place the slice on a plate and cut it into slices like a pizza
- garnish the watermelon slices each with a black pitted olive
- Drizzle some date syrup over the slices
- Serve chilled for dessert on a hot summer day.