Liptuaer cheese is a popular cheese spread served in many taverns throughout Austria’s wine and beer growing regions and has a unique flavor that many crave after trying. Many people who visit Austria comment how they loved this easy to make appetizer, serve on black bread, crackers or vegetables, you should try it!
Liptauer Cheese Served with Austrian Black Bread
- 8 ounces smooth Farmers Cheese If you can’t find farmers cheese use 6 oz. cream cheese and ¼ butter softened
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon capers drained and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon anchovy paste or 2 fillets rinsed dried and minced
- 1 shallot minced
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Black bread crackers or vegetables to spread the Liptauer on.
- In a bowl cream the softened farmers cheese or cream cheese and butter
- Add paprika, capers, anchovies or paste, shallot and caraway seed.
- Combine well and add any salt and pepper to taste.
- Pack into a container and chill, covered
- Serve with bread, crackers or vegetables
- This cheese spread gets better with time, an easy, make ahead recipe for your next cocktail party.