Mauritius octopus salad is awesome! Just the sight of it makes you feel like you are in a special tropical place. I love octopus, and salads is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. Be sure to throw a wine cork in the water when you cook it, it really does work to help make the octopus tender. If you are pressed for time you could use cooked octopus that you can typically find in the freezer section of you local Asian market. This can be made as a starter or would also suffice as a nice light lunch. This Mauritius style salad has a lively dressing. Enjoy!
Mauritius Octopus Salad (Salde Ourite)
- 1 octopus
- 4 scallions
- 1 red chili minced
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 " ginger peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 to matoes
- For the dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons mustard seed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- Juice of two limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- cook the octopus in salted water with a wine cork for about on hour until tender.
- While the octopus is cooking mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside
- Rinse well and remove excess skin and slice the octopus into bite size pieces
- Cut all vegetables into strips.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and toss gently with the dressing.