Micronesian sweet potatoes and bananas is a sweet and savory side dish. A tropical pairing of two ingredients found on the islands. The sweet potato is boiled until tender and then mixed with some bananas fried in butter. Who doesn’t love bananas fried in butter? It was served alongside the main dish which was barbecued pork and chicken. It was excellent and this sweet and savory dish would be a hit next to just about anything. Enjoy!
Micronesian Sweet Potatoes and Bananas
- 3 ripe bananas peeled and cut into about 2 inch pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes Peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Put on a pot of water to boil add in the sweet potatoes and cover and simmer until tender about 20 minutes. While the sweet potatoes are in the last 5 minutes of cooking fry the banana pieces.
- In a skillet melt the butter taking care not to let it burn over medium heat.
- Add in the bananas until coated and flip over until warmed through.
- Add in the sweet potatoes after you drain them
- Serve warm next to grilled meat, pork or fish.