Mongolian butter cookies called boortsog are really scrumptious treats, they are really more like fried dough than cookies. We enjoyed them straight from the fryer dipped in our Mongolian tea to end our meal. The leftovers were actually really good with tea the next day but you may not have any leftovers, they are that good hot! They can be served with honey, butter or even cheese. Another quick and easy recipe, thanks Mongolia!
If you would like to learn more about the country of Mongolia or get more authentic Mongolian recipes like these Mongolian butter cookies, be sure to check out “Our Journey to Mongolia”.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Mongolian Butter Cookies (Boortsog)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup warm water +/-
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- oil for frying can be mutton fat but vegetable oil is also used
- Desolve the sugar and salt into the warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, water mixture, and butter and knead extensively to a tough, dense dough, add flour or water as necessary.
- Let rest for about 30 minutes and knead again to remove any air bubbles.
- roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut into rectangles about 2 x4
- Cut a slit in the middle and pull one end through making sort of a knot shape.
- Heat up you oil in a frying pan and deep fry until golden brown on each side.
- Remove and serve warm with Mongolian tea.