Mozambican chips or fries as we call them in the states are a common side dish along side the peri, peri chicken, peri peri shrimp, grilled crustaceans and fish.
I love fries that are crispy on the outside and light on the inside. It is easy to achieve if you have a deep fryer.
Of course fries are delicious alongside just about anything. Dip them in mayo, ketchup and yes that fiery peri peri sauce for a real treat.
Make 1 large russet potato per person. I like to leave the peel on for a homemade looking chip but it is up to you if you want to or not. The russet potato seems to make the best chips/ fries.
Mozambican Chips (Fries)
- 1 large russet potato per person
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Put the potatoes whole into a large pot of boiling water.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until they just start to turn a bit tender.
- Drain and cool
- Peel if desired and slice the potato into strips for fries
- Heat oil to 375 degrees
- make sure the strips of potato are nice and dry before putting them in the hot oil.
- cook until just golden brown
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel.
- Salt to taste