Nauru coconut mousse recipe is really easy and a delightful sweet treat.
If you are making the coconut crusted fish, just grate a bit more fresh coconut for this recipe as well. It truly makes all the difference when using fresh coconut.
This recipe calls for agar-agar which is like a gelatin. If you can’t find agar-agar you can substitute gelatin in equal amounts for this recipe.
Keep in mind that you will need to have it refrigerate for about 4 hours to set up.
Also to make it pretty, I just roasted some fresh coconut for the topping.
A wonderfully light dessert, you will love it!
Nauru Coconut Mousse
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut plus a couple tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar or gelatin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 egg whites
- In a large sauce pan heat the coconut milk, sugar and grated coconut without bringing to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the agar-agar or gelatin
- Whisk until cool
- Beat the whip cream and gradually incorporate the vanilla sugar
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Fold in the whip cream into the coconut milk mixture
- Then fold in the egg whites.
- Put in serving containers and let chill for about 4 hours
- In a sauce pan roast the two tablespoons of grated coconut and garnish