Nazook, this desserts spells trouble for me, the homemade puff pastry like dough is buttery and flaky, the filling of walnuts and sugar, way too good! This would make a lovely dessert for any occasion and wonderful with tea or coffee for breakfast and surprisingly very easy to make. A perfect ending to our Armenian meal!
Nazook (Puff Pastry with walnut filling)
- For the dough:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the Filling:
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- For the dough:
- In a large bowl combine the flour, yeast and salt; mix together.
- Add in the sour cream and softened butter. Use your hands and work the mixture into a dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- For the filing:
- Mix together the flour, sugars, softened butter in a medium bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and ground walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Form a ball and sprinkle your work surface with flour.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. The dough should be thin but not transparent
- Spread the filling on the dough keeping it about ½ inch away from the edges.
- Starting on the long side, start rolling up the dough, making sure the filling is evenly distributed.
- Place the dough seam side down and press on it slightly to flatten the top.
- Cut the dough into 12 even pieces and place on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Brush the tops of all the pieces with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries from the cookie sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- The nazook will keep up to a week in an airtight container.