New Zealand baked mussels are an amazing appetizer.
These green lipped mussels are typically found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. They come already on the half shell, all you need to do is cook them.
They are healthy and very low calorie, that is until you smother them with mayo, sirachi, lime, sugar and cheese.
These little treasures are abundant off the coast of New Zealand. I make this dish all the time. It is one of our favorite things.
I like to add some flying fish roe as a garnish but that is optional. I love the texture it adds to the bite.
I made this recipe into a video so you can see how easy it is to make them. I hope you do, you will love them!
New Zealand Baked Mussels
- 12 green lipped New Zealand Mussels
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Sirachi +/- to desired heat level
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved or shredded to sprinkle on top
- 2 Tablespoons flying fish roe optional for garnish and texture
- Preheat the oven to 385 degrees F
- Rinse off the mussels in cold water
- place the mussels in a baking pan
- In a bowl mix together the mayo, sirachi, lime and sugar
- Spoon a teaspoon or so onto each mussel
- sprinkle the tops with some Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Remove from oven and plate
- add flying fish roe on top of each mussel if using