Oxtail stew is a wonderful main dish. In Botswana it is called mogatla. Cattle are an important income source for many Botswana. They savor the less expensive cuts for special occasions. This is a popular stew made of oxtail. It takes some time to get tender, but well worth the wait, add in the dumplings called matlebekwane and you have a delicious meal.
Botswana Mogatla Oxtail Stew
Servings 4 servings
- 1 package oxtail
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the oxtail in 1 tablespoon of oil in a stock pot, then set aside the oxtail
- Add in the remaining oil and saute the onions until soft
- Add in the tomatoes, garlic and paste and mix together
- Add back in the oxtail and the beef stock cube and cover with water
- Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, this can take a couple hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If making the dumplings, add them in the boiling stew about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.